Saturday, November 27, 2010

Vintage My A**



Hey everyone, Happy Saturday!!                            
Okay so today I went vintage shopping with my mother hoping to find some timeless clothing for an amazing price. Little did I know I was in for a very pricey awakening. The first place we visited was off of 16th Street on U street which will remain nameless, most of the vintage places are all located there. Anyways so I walk into the store hoping to walk out with a new wardrobe for the cost of nothing, it didn't exactly go down like that. So I'm in the store searching the racks hoping to find something wicked and it would be a lie if I said I didn't exactly find anything gorge because I did. That was until I looked at the price tag and almost had a heart attack at 19. I mean it was like this with every single piece of fabric I touched. I mean I thought that vintage things were supposed to be cheap, thats the whole point of making it vintage. So I left the store with nothing but an empty feeling in my stomach. Not only because I was hungry but because my search for amazing vintage clothing for less wasn't going to well. So my mother and I headed to the next vintage shop on the block. This one was even worse than the first one. Not only were the prices high but the clothing was horrible. I mean I'm talking shoulder pads for the price of $70 here, I know...scary. It wasn't a total waste of time because my mother ended up buying some beautiful jewelry which I will be borrowing. Well it was like this for the next three stores except for the last one.
This one was actually next to the first one we visited but we passed it because we thought it was closed. They  had amazing jewelry and shoes for a reasonable price. They also had jewelry and clothing that was made by local artists. It was like a little hidden wonder that I was lucky to encounter. Plus the employees were incredibly nice and sincere, not to mention helpful. Theses girls  knew what they were talking about. I also wished I could steal the clothes that were on their backs because to be honest, they were rocking their styles. Anyways even though the day ended up being a total dud, at the end of the day I felt a bit better than I did at the beginning. Plus I got to spend some quality time with my mom which I haven't done in awhile. Anyways here are some tips when you go vintage shopping.

*Make sure the prices are reasonable because you could buy something that's new and as beautiful at a store like Forever21 or H&M.

*Check the quality of the piece of fabric you have in mind. It may be cheap but it also may be cheap for a reason. Also it goes the same if something is a brand name and  expensive but it's in horrible condition.

*Know what you want before you go into a vintage store because trust me, it can be overwhelming to see
a lot of brand names at a great price. Just make sure you need it because you'll end up buying the whole store.

*Make sure jewelry is real before you go and spend $100 on something that looks like it's gold. A lot of vintage places will try and trick people into thinking that their jewelry is real when in reality, you could buy
the exact same thing at Claires.



Hope you found this helpful!!

-Andy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment