Monday, January 3, 2011

Dear Readers,
Happy New Year! Yes, it seems we have stumbled upon yet another year without warning. It's funny how they just seem to creep up on us without even noticing. It literally feels as though I was just celebrating 2010 and with just the blink of an eye, I'm celebrating 2011. It's even weird to say. I wonder how many people out there have made resolutions they'll forget by February. It seems we keep making the same ones and they never seem to stick. Loosing weight, not eating as much junk food, being a better person, they all scream mundane. If only we could make a resolution that would mean something. Like helping out a total stranger in need, doing something completely selfless, getting off our asses and trying to make the world a better place. That last one was a bit overachieving but why not shoot for the moon? I think we've just lost the will to do something amazing for someone else we've just given up. America has become lazy, that's a bit of an understatement. I mean every time I go out to dinner with friends or to work, I see idiots on the metro drunk as hell. I mean literally it's every weekend and it made me think, is this all there is to life? Going out and getting plastered until we feel numb? Surely there has to be something more than this. Plus whenever I a homeless person I always see people ignoring them like they're not sitting out there in the cold, begging for money. It's heartbreaking what this world has come to. The world isn't all about shopping for those perfect shoes because there is a person out there who has none. It isn't about getting a reservation at that new overpriced Sushi place downtown because somewhere out there, someone hasn't had a meal all day let alone all week. Life is so much more and out there people need our help but what do we do instead of helping them, we ignore them  because it's too painful to face. Well have you ever thought that,that person once had a family like you. Once had a job and an income just like you. Picture yourself out there in the freezing cold, could you handle it? Could you handle being ignore when you called out for help? I seriously doubt it.
I say this because I didn't always have a solid job and a decent income. I lived in a one bedroom apartment with my mother and brother and you could say things got a bit, crowded. Now my mom has a great job and a amazing apartment in a nice neighborhood and as for me. I have a great job that I love and a nice little studio apartment but like I said, things weren't always so perfect. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should be grateful for what you have because there are people who aren't as lucky. There people out there who don't have a family or a home. So maybe next time you see someone sitting on the curb with a cup in their hand asking for a dollar, put yourself in their shoes. Let's make this year the year we start making a difference because one person can't do it alone. Imagine the change we could make if we work together as a team. Instead of making a difference, we'd be staring a revolution. Okay, I think I've had my John Lennon moment already. Hope you all have an amazing year and let's start making a difference!

-Andy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment